Escape from the Vault!
A post apocalytpic Roguelike by Max Breedon aka eggmceye
You wake up in your cell at the bottom of a fallout vault. The world is destroyed and all of the humans are dead.
It's time to get the hell out of here!
Download for windows here! (4Mb 2015.4.4)
For the 7dRL 2012 version, click here.
- Unzip somewhere (not into program files), run escapefromthevault.exe
- On the intro screen click create new character
(when you reload, use journey onward to continue playing)
- Use the prefilled account name of player and the password as anything (they are ignored)
- Roll a mutant soldier to start with - the others combinations are harder
- Use the arrow keys to move
- First thing you should do is press i key to toggle your flashlight on.
- press space to move between levels - ie when on ladders or stairs
- If you see a door there is no need to open it, just walk through it
- Press ? for help
- You start with a knife readied
- To shoot your bound gun press the f key . It doesn't need to be readied: it will autoswitch (and back again)
(to bind a new ranged weapon, view inventory, highlight the item and press alt+1 to bind to the 1 key)
- Press ctrl+arrow key to attack in that direction
- Use a bandage to heal (u key)
- Always search a footlocker with the s key first
- When a training manual drops press r to read it and learn that ability
- c uses an ability
- e for eat
- u for use
- Pills and maps are randomised every time a new player is created!
- Forum post here http://forums.swut.net/viewforum.php?f=11
- Extended list of keyboard controls here: http://euotopia.com/manual/ index.php/Keyboard_Controls
Mutant: Mutants get slight automatic health regeneration.
Alien: Can see well in the dark and have infravision.
Droid: Immune to poison and don't get hungry, but can't use bandages to heal. Droids must use spare parts to repair.
Soldier: The solider is a weapons specialist. Soliders learn special weapons skills to inflict maxium damage on their enemies.
Engineer: Engineers build dangerous gadgets out of spare parts, including IEDs, grenades and sentry guns. They can also make useful things like lockpicks and cloaking devices.
Televangelist: The televangelist uses the power of the lord to smite enemies with lightning bolts and earthquakes.
This game was made using the MOA (multiplayer online adventure) engine that powers EUOtopia. The engine has been in development since 1998! it is written in c++ and utilises Lua scripting, excel spreadsheets and a proprietry map format help separate content from engine.
A post apocalyptic MOA game has been brewing in my head since 2006. I devised the races and classes (and more) and made a few tiles in 2007 but otherwise it was abandoned. The 2012 7dRL competition has seen me resurrect these ideas and use them with the 2012 version of the reasonably stable MOA engine.
The main changes I made to the engine was a configuration option to allow it to be played in single player turn based mode.
Design, production, programming, art: Max Breedon
The MOA engine © 1998-2017 Max Breedon
Additional Lua scripting for the military base by Rusty of EUO
One of the Vault maps is based on the rogue algorthim from this page: http://kuoi.com/~kamikaze/GameDesign/ art07_rogue_dungeon.php - another is based on http://orteil.dashnet.org/experiments/ RoguelikeMapgen.html
The continent map is based on perlin noise - originally from this page: http://www.nolithius.com/game-development/world-generation-breakdown
Graphics: much of it is rehashed from EUO, though much of it is original for this game. The original tileset for EUO was made by Josh Steele and traces of his work still appear in this game. The spider and scorpion are by Morthwyl of EUO. Wolf by Extell.
Sound: borrowed & found
Music: some midis from here:
Midi authors unknown
Tracks by various artists, used without permission. No claim of authorship made, etc.
Intro theme: He Aint Heavy, He's My Brother - The Hollies, Niel Diamond, etc
Vault: Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
Caves: Living on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
Wasteland: You Could be Mine by Guns n Roses
Subway: Paint it Black by Rolling Stones (sourced via Google)
Military Base: War Pigs by Black Sabbath
End: Mrs Robinson by Simon and Garfunkle