Escape from the Vault!
A 7dRL 2012 entry by Max Breedon aka eggmceye
You wake up in your cell at the bottom of a fallout vault. The world is destroyed and all of the humans are dead.
It's time to get the hell out of here!
- Unzip somewhere, run escapefromthevault.exe
- On the intro screen click create new character
- (later, use journey onward and your character name to continue playing)
- Use the prefilled account name of 'player' and the password of '12345'
- If prompted by your firewall please allow moasv.exe ! (you are starting a server process and connecting to it)
- Roll a mutant or alien soldier to start with - the others combinations are harder
- Use the arrow keys to move
- First thing you should do is press i key to toggle your flashlight on.
- press space to move between levels - ie on ladders or stairs
- if you see a door there is no need to open it, just walk through it
- press ? for help
- you start with a knife readied
- press ctrl+arrow key to attack in that direction
- hit the ~ key to use a bandage to heal
- always search a footlocker with the s key first
- when a training manual drops press shift-l to learn that ability
- shift-c uses an ability
- e for eat
- u for use
- pills and maps are randomised every time a new player is created!
- Forum post here http://forums.swut.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4385
Mutant: Mutants get slight automatic health regeneration.
Alien: Can see well in the dark and have infravision.
Droid: Immune to poison and don't get hungry, but can't use bandages to heal. Droids must use spare parts to repair.
Soldier: The solider is a weapons specialist. Soliders learn special weapons skills to inflict maxium damage on their enemies.
Engineer: Engineers build dangerous gadgets out of spare parts, including IEDs, grenades and sentry guns. They can also make useful things like lockpicks and cloaking devices.
Televangelist: The televangelist uses the power of the lord to smite enemies with lightning bolts and earthquakes. They also specialise in neuro-linguistic-programming (NLP) to wreak havok on enemy minds.
This game was made using the MOA (multiplayer online adventure) engine that powers EUO The engine has been in development since 1998! it is written in c++ and utilises Lua scripting, excel spreadsheets and a proprietry map format help separate content from engine.
A post apocalyptic MOA game has been brewing in my head since 2006. I devised the races and classes (and more) and made a few tiles in 2007 but otherwise it was abandoned. The 2012 7dRL competition has seen me resurrect these ideas and use them with the 2012 version of the reasonably stable MOA engine.
The main changes I made to the engine was a configuration option to allow it to be played in single player turn based mode. It's a hack but it will do for the time being.
Design, production, programming, art: Max Breedon
The MOA engine © 1998-2012 Max Breedon
Additional Lua scripting for the military base by Rusty of EUO
The Vault map is based on the rogue algorthim from this page: http://kuoi.com/~kamikaze/GameDesign/ art07_rogue_dungeon.php
The continent map is based on perlin noise - originally from this page: http://www.nolithius.com/game-development/world-generation-breakdown
Graphics: much of it is rehashed from EUO, though much of it is original for this game. The original tileset for EUO was made by Josh Steele and traces of his work still appear in this game. The spider and scorpion are by Morthwyl of EUO. Wolf by Extell.
Sound: borrowed & found
Music: some midis from here:
Midi authors unknown
Tracks by various artists, used without permission. No claim of authorship made, etc.
Intro theme: He Aint Heavy, He's My Brother - The Hollies, Niel Diamond, etc
Vault: Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits
Caves: Living on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
Wasteland: You Could be Mine by Guns n Roses
Subway: Paint it Black by Rolling Stones (sourced via Google)
Military Base: War Pigs by Black Sabbath
End: Mrs Robinson by Simon and Garfunkle